Help Center
Click to Home
Go To Search
Council Chamber

About the Chamber
The Chamber is the second oldest Council Chamber in continuous use in the United States. The Chamber contains 27 seven black walnut desks made for the Council members in 1818. The two chandeliers, originally lit with gas, date back to 1850. Above the main floor is a visitors' gallery encircled by a bowed-cast iron railing. Exposed earthquake rods are incorporated into the design of the hand-painted tin paneled ceiling, the perimeter of which contains the original 1896 Thomas Edison light bulbs that burned in the room until 1983.
 

location_pic_chambers.PNG

 
 
Art Gallery
The Chamber also serves as an art gallery displaying a priceless collection of original oil portraits of figures important to state and national history, including likenesses of four United States presidents. A beautiful, full-length portrait of George Washington dates to 1791, painted in commemoration of his week-long visit to Charleston during his presidential tour of the southern states. Four handsomely carved, marble busts of public figures of the 19th century adorn the wall niches. All figures exhibited have a particular association with Charleston beginning in the Pre-Revolutionary Era and continuing through the War of Independence, the Antebellum Period, the Civil War, Reconstruction Era, and the Civil Rights Movement.
Vanessa Turner Maybank

Email

80 Broad Street
Charleston , SC 29401

Ph: 843-724-3729
Fx: 843-720-3959