In the year 2000 the Old Charles Towne District Taskforce and the City of Charleston held a charrette to create a master plan for the area around the Sumar Street Site. At the time Piggly Wiggly was a functioning grocery store and implementation focused on the Ashley Landing Plaza site.
Elements that remained consistent from 2000 Charrette to the 2018 Sumar Street Charrette
• Desire for more neighborhood oriented businesses
• Landscape medians on Sam Rittenburg
• A landscaped traffic circle at Sam Rittenburg Boulevard and Old Towne Road
• Create an “urban boulevard” along Sam Rittenburg from Orange Grove Road to Dickens Street
• Make area (Ashley Landing) a biking destination and provide for safe pedestrian crossings
• Focus on creating a main street aesthetic in the Old Charles Towne District