May 27, 2020 10:41 AM
COVID-19 AQUATICS UPDATE
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 concerns, the city of Charleston Department of Recreation will not be offering swim lessons for this summer.
In addition, the Coastal Carolina Aquatic Association (CCAA) has suspended the 2020 sponsored summer swim league, in which the City-sponsored James Island Stingrays swim team participates. In conjunction with this news, the Recreation Department will not have the intra-mural swim league in the summer of 2020.
On Monday, May 18, the City of Charleston Recreation Department opened its two outdoor pools, Herbert Hasell pool (HH) and James Island pool (JIP). In order to maintain safety for all staff and users, these pools will open with the following restrictions:
- Hours at both pools: Monday-Friday 7:00am-7:00pm & Saturday 10:00am-3:00pm
- Lap/exercise swimming and reserved times for rec/family swim. No group fitness classes.
- Reservations for lap swim REQUIRED. Reservations are ACCEPTED, but not required for rec swim times between 10:00am-4:00pm. The pools will take reservations at 6:00am. Call JIP at 843-708-4104 or HH at 843-724-7344.
- Pool passes or user fees are required (passes are recommended).
- Temperature checks will take place before entering the pool area.
- No pool equipment will be provided.
- Locker rooms are open for restrooms only at JIP. HH has a family restroom. Please arrive in swimsuit.
- Social distancing required.
- Participants may need to wait outside before entering the pool area if all lanes are filled.
We thank you for your cooperation, patience and understanding as we navigate our reopening.