In consultation with area medical professionals, city of Charleston summer day camps provided by the Recreation Department are scheduled to begin on June 15th and run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Drop-off hours will be from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., and pick-up will take place from 5:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Drop-off and pick-up will occur outside of each facility and each camp will have a site-specific drop-off and pick-up routine in place.
In order to maintain proper social distancing and keep all camp participants and staff members safe, all city day camps will adhere to the following protocols:
- Camp facilities will be closed to the public during camp hours, with only city staff and participants allowed inside during this time.
- Camp participants will be placed in smaller daily groups of six to eight children and one staff member, and will remain together for the duration of each day.
- Each group will be assigned to a specific area within the facility, which will include all needed supplies, table and chairs, and equipment.
- Field trips and visits to other camps have been cancelled for the summer session.
- All activities will be restructured to incorporate proper social distancing, with no large group games or interactions with other groups occurring.
- Camp participants will be required to bring their own water bottles and lunches daily. Concessions (where applicable) will include prepackaged items only. No sharing of food will be permitted.
- Participants must bring hand sanitizer.
- Temperatures of all children and staff will be taken daily, and staff members working with children will be required to wear masks.
- Thorough hand washing and sanitation will be built into camp rotations and required multiple times daily. Staff will be trained on proper hand washing techniques. Parents are asked to review handwashing techniques with their children prior to the start of the summer session.
Additionally, day camp staff will be required to:
- Wear masks at all times.
- Wear gloves when appropriate.
- Sanitize any equipment used, such as balls, pens, markers, chairs, tables, etc.
- Clean and disinfect areas of use once activities are completed.
- Actively observe any sickness within the group and intervene if warranted.
- Clean and sanitize each facility each evening in preparation for the next day of camp.
Families that have registered for day camp and wish to withdraw can receive a credit or refund of deposits and fees paid by contacting the Recreation Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-724-7327 by Tuesday, May 26.