In preparation for the Annual First Day Festival, the city of Charleston is coordinating a school supply drive to ensure that local students have the materials they need to begin the new school year. Donations will be accepted through Tuesday, August 3, 2021 and pre-packed bags of school supplies will be distributed to students at the Festival on Sunday, August 8 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Charleston Gaillard Center and South Carolina Aquarium.
How to donate: School supplies can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Arthur Christopher Community Center, 265 Fishburne Street
- St. Julian Devine Community Center, 1 Cooper Street
- City of Charleston offices, 75 Calhoun Street
- City of Charleston Parks and Recreation offices, 823 Meeting Street
- West Ashley/James island
- James Island Recreation Center, 1088 Quail Drive
- Bees Landing Recreation Center, 1580 Ashley Gardens Boulevard
- Hindu Temple of Charleston, 1740 Jervey Avenue
- Old St. Andrews Parish, 2604 Ashley River Road
- Daniel Island/North Charleston
- Daniel Island Recreation Center, 160 Fairbanks Drive
- Charleston County Public Service Building, 4045 Bridge View Dr, North Charleston
The most requested supplies include pens and pencils, erasers, wide-ruled filler paper, wide-ruled composition books, two pocket folders, crayons, markers, colored pencils, index cards, tissues, hand sanitizer, glue/glue sticks and scissors.
About the First Day Festival: The First Day Festival is a celebration of education that brings students and families together with educators and community providers to share information about available resources and support services, to provide children with free school supplies and to enjoy a fun day together prior to the start of the new school year.
In addition to the school supply distribution, the Festival will feature various exhibits providing information on student support services and community resources, entertainment and activities in the city of Charleston Recreation Department’s Kids Zone, free admission to the South Carolina Aquarium during Festival hours (limited capacity), a free food distribution with the Lowcountry Food Bank and more.
Volunteer at the First Day Festival: A range of volunteer opportunities are available at this year's First Day Festival.
Click here to sign up to volunteer for the school supply distribution center, ticket distribution, crowd direction, hand painting, water team and more.
Learn more: For more information about the school supply drive, the First Day Festival or how to volunteer, please contact Mindy Sturm at firstname.lastname@example.org.