Effective July 1, 2016, a Kitchen Exhaust Inspection Contractor (KEIC) working in the City of Charleston must demonstrate they are qualified to perform this work and obtain a permit to operate in the City.
Basic Application Process Includes
- Submit the Kitchen Exhaust Inspection Contractor application (PDF)and all of the associated supporting documentation specified on the application. A sample inspection form (PDF)(Word document) is available for review or use.
- Contractors utilizing "Option B" on the application will need to include an affidavit of experience (PDF).
- All applications must be sent to the permit center at 2 George Street.
- Applications are typically reviewed within 10 business days.
- The contractor will be contacted regarding any additional questions, documentation, and to schedule an inspection of the hood cleaning equipment.
- Contractors that are deemed qualified will be issued a permit. The permit must be renewed on or before March 1st of the following year. Permits are subject to revocation or suspension.
- A list of qualified contractors will be published and made available to the public.
Expectations of the KEIC Include
- Crews working in the field shall retail a copy of the current permit issued to the company.
- Systems shall be inspected and cleaned in accordance with ICC codes, NFPA 96, and ANSI/IKECA C-10.
- The complete interior of system(s) listed shall be cleaned to bare metal.
- Contractors shall retain reports, photos, and associated documents for not less than three years.
- Contractors shall provide the facility with inspection reports upon completion of the inspection/cleaning.
- Kitchen Exhaust Inspection Reports must contain all of the information outlined within ANSI/IKECA C-10.
- Service stickers must be "punched", contain all required information, and will be placed on each hood.
- Deficiency reports will be submitted within 2 business days, compliant reports will be submitted weekly, by:
- Email to Kitchen Exhaust Inspection Contractor
- Upload via the web portal