Off Duty Employment Request
Notice to Employers
The Charleston Police Department's Off Duty Employment Program allows sworn officers to provide off duty law enforcement services to the public within the City of Charleston. The Department does not require officers to work and does not guarantee all or any requests will be filled. Services for off duty requests are strictly voluntary on behalf of the officers in the Department and their availability. All requests for officers should be made at least 48 hours prior to the event and are subject to approval by the Special Events Coordinator. Requests received with less than 48 hours' notice are subject to increased hourly rates.
If more than three (3) officers are requested for the job, the fourth officer must be a supervisor. The supervisor rate is $45 per hour. Functions with over ten (10) officers will require two (2) supervisors with one (1) additional supervisor for each additional ten (10). If the event requires an event commander, the rate is $50 per hour.
* All approved jobs have a three (3) hour minimum. If the event is cancelled without 24 hours' notice, or concludes before the three (3) hour time period, payment will be made for the full three (3) hours.
* No officer will accept any special duty assignment where the primary purpose of the establishment is the sale of alcoholic beverages.
* Officers are required to be in uniform with all required equipment including a Body Worn Camera (BWC).
|Pay (per hour)||$ 40.00||$ 45.00||$ 50.00|
|Worker's Comp Fee (5%)||$ 2.00||$ 2.25||$ 2.50|
|Admin Fee (10%)||$ 4.00||$ 4.50||$ 5.00|
|Total per hour||$ 46.00||$ 51.75||$ 57.50|
Holiday pay for officers is $50 per hour, supervisors $55 per hour, commanders $60 per hour, plus the associated worker’s comp and admin fees.
New Year's Day Labor Day
Martin Luther King Day Veteran's Day
President's Day Thanksgiving
Memorial Day Black Friday
* City-recognized holidays, subject to change
Workers' Compensations coverage for each officer is required. The employing company/individual will be charged 5% of the officer pay for this coverage. This fee will be included in the total payment.
The Special Events Commander or his/her designee, when necessary, will determine the number of sworn personnel required for the assignment.
Off duty employment is voluntary and is done on the officer's time off from the Department.
The off duty employer has the option of requesting a specific officer.
The Special Events Commander, or designee, may solicit any sworn member to fulfill available positions.
To cancel an off duty request, a minimum of 24 hours' notice must be given to the Charleston Police Department through the Extra Duty Solutions Company, otherwise the employer will be responsible for the fees associated with a minimum three hour contract. To cancel, please call Extra Duty Solutions at 843-226-7167.
Officer Not Reporting For Off Duty
If an officer scheduled to work an off duty assignment does not report for the assignment, the employer should notify Extra Duty Solutions at 843-226-7167.
Procedures for Requesting an Off Duty Officer
1. Contact Extra Duty Solutions by phone 843-226-7167, email charlestonsc@ExtraDutySolutions.com, or click this link .
2. You can reach Extra Duty Solutions 24 hours a day including holidays and weekends.
3. If you have any questions or need assistance, you may contact Lt. George Bradley at 843-720-2383 or Marie McKillop at 843-720-2459.