Arson hurts the entire neighborhood and city. Although three of every four intentional fires are started outside, most intentional fire casualties and property loss result from structure fires.
- Fire departments responded to an estimated 53,700 intentional structure fires annually during 2005 to 2009. These fires resulted in 390 civilian deaths, 1,120 civilian injuries, and an estimated $1.1 billion direct property damage.
- Intentionally set home structure fires are more likely to be set in the afternoon and evening hours, between 3 pm and midnight.
- The bedroom is the leading area of origin for intentional home structure fires, while bathrooms are the leading areas in public properties such as stores, offices, or schools.
Report tips anonymously by calling the arson hotline at 1-800-92-ARSON or report any suspicious activity to the Charleston Police Department.
- Call - Crimestoppers at 843-554-1111
- Text - 274637 – Begin your message with "tip-213" and then give your information through the encrypted system
- Call 911 in an emergency