Floodplain Development

All new or substantially improved buildings in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) require an Elevation Certificate. Elevation and Engineering Certificates can be submitted to Building Inspections. Other permits or certificates may also be required and are issued through the Permit Center.

Elevation Certificate

  • Must be completed by a South Carolina licensed land surveyor or engineer
  • FEMA 81-31 Elevation Certificate form must be used

Engineering Certifications are required for the following, if applicable:

  • Engineered flood vents (enclosed space below the Base Flood Elevation in A zones)
  • Break-away walls (enclosed space below the Base Flood Elevation in V zones)
  • Dry flood-proofing (Non-residential)
  • Anchored (pile or column) foundation