Charleston Police Department Overview
The police department currently employs 458 sworn police officers, 117 civilians and several reserve police officers. Providing a high level of public service is the police department's mission. The department, headed by Chief Luther T. Reynolds, has many resources and specialized personnel at its disposal. The Charleston Police Department was the first municipal law enforcement agency in the State of South Carolina to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).
It is the mission of the Charleston Police Department to serve all people within our jurisdiction with respect, fairness, and compassion. We are committed to the protection of life and property; the preservation of peace, order, and safety; the vigorous enforcement of local, state and federal laws; and the defense of the Constitution of the State of South Carolina and the Constitution of the United States of America in a fair and impartial manner.
We are committed to serving our community to enhance the quality of life and to nurture public trust by holding ourselves to the highest standards of performance and ethics. Our officers are determined to serve as a deterrent to crime; develop relationships with community groups, residential and business organizations; to promote an environment receptive to tourism, visitors, and residents; and to support historic preservation in our city. Additionally, we are dedicated to our personnel by providing continuous training and educational development, as well as career enhancement opportunities.
Highest Quality of Service
The Charleston Police Department has and shall continue to provide service of the highest quality to its community and foster community partnerships in crime prevention.
The vision of the Charleston Police Department is to be a world class law enforcement agency committed to the values of Honor, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork. We demonstrate creativity, challenge our capabilities, and encourage initiative and risk-taking. We hold ourselves to a high standard of excellence and continually improve by solving problems and making decisions that benefit the organization and community. We are dedicated to service, lifelong learning, and professional growth.
Core Values- H.E.A.R.T.
- Honor- We serve with honor through our actions, conduct, and job performance. Performed with integrity, even at personal cost, we constantly strive towards ever-rising standards.
- Excellence- We seek excellence in all that we do and strive for continuous improvement. Our employees are encouraged to be innovative and creative.
- Accountability- We are an organization of employees who do the right thing and are responsible for what we do and say.
- Respect- We value all citizens, each other and different points of view, regardless of race, gender, appearance, individual beliefs, or lifestyles.
- Teamwork- We support an environment that recognizes mutual cooperation and group accomplishments while encouraging individual contributions.